How to Build a Blockchain Game Step-by-Step
Table of content
There hasn’t been a better time to enter the market and develop blockchain games. With blockchain development services and a growing understanding of its potential value, game developers increasingly recognize multiple opportunities this new area can bring.
According to Forbes, there are also large investments in this sphere. Forte, a company producing a blockchain-based platform technology for the gaming industry, and Xpring, a developer ecosystem initiative launched by Ripple, have recently announced the creation of a $100 million fund to support aspiring game developers. The fund is hoped to accelerate the mainstream adoption and spread of blockchain technology in gaming, which currently attracts more than 50,000 daily active users.
Such large investments generally align with the current expectations. According to a 2019 survey conducted by Statista, 23% of gaming executives reported that blockchain could make gaming more secure, while 19% noted that the technology is expected to contribute to customer trust.
Blockchain in games thus becomes a promising area for development, meaning that there is a growing need to understand how blockchain games work and how to create a blockchain game that would attract gamers’ attention. There are some examples of highly successful crypto games that became very popular among gamers, motivating blockchain game developers. For example, CryptoKitties, a blockchain-powered game on Ethereum using non-fungible tokens (NFTs), allows gamers to buy and auction digital cats. It has recently boasted selling the first created digital cat for ~$115,000. Another Ethereum-based game called Decentraland raised $24m via an ICO in 2017 and sold out in no time.
Thus, it’s evident that blockchain-based games are the gaming industry’s future, so the 4IRE NFT game development company seeks to examine the fundamentals of crypto games creation.
In this article, you will learn how to build a crypto game, how such games differ from traditional games, what blockchain games are already available on the market, and what advantages of blockchain in games should be considered. Based on this data, you can make an informed decision to create your own blockchain games to make money. For those of you considering entering this market, this article also offers many practical recommendations that could make it easier to navigate the world of crypto gaming.
Traditional vs Blockchain Games
Unlike traditional video games, blockchain games use blockchain tokens as their virtual currency. These tokens can be transferred, sold, and purchased independently of the service provider. Players using crypto games should first register in the blockchain platform used by the particular game, thus gaining access to the blockchain wallet. Blockchain games are unique in terms of virtual currency use, and they provide an unprecedented degree of transparency and security to the players. Unlike traditional games, crypto games are decentralized, and they offer tangible economic benefits to the players, who can use blockchain games to earn cryptocurrency while simultaneously entertaining themselves.
Advantages of Blockchain Games for Developers
The advantages of developing blockchain games for developers justify investments in this sphere. Below are the most significant benefits of using blockchain in games, which you need to consider when designing your games:
- Effective data encryption. Blockchain-based games use sophisticated technology to secure crypto tokens storage and use. For developers, it means that the risk of hacking is extremely low. A decentralized blockchain network stores all the data, making it impossible for hackers to modify or compromise players’ transactions.
- Many growth opportunities. The crypto-games market is currently on the rise, meaning that companies investing in game development in this sector can enjoy multiple growth opportunities and have higher chances of earning a market share if they employ innovative blockchain solutions.
- Security and user-friendly experiences. Blockchain games can provide user-friendly experiences by offering a high degree of security and transparency. Tech-savvy gamers value these advantages and can become loyal fans of well-designed, engaging blockchain games.
- Transparency of asset distribution. Developers can also benefit from the total transparency of asset distribution. They can attract players who want to own their assets and be sure that no one would take hold of them. In this way, developers can earn a share of the traditional gaming market by attracting players who had negative experiences with game assets ownership or simply want to feel secure. Read Also: Smart Contract Hacks
Read Also: Smart Contract Hacks
Advantages for Players
When developing a blockchain-based game, you need to ensure that your players can utilize the blockchain solutions to their maximum advantage. The main benefits that you should deliver include:
- Greater transparency. As stated earlier, blockchain technology allows for unprecedented transparency of all digital transactions in games. Players have access to all information about transactions, which ensures fairness and contributes to greater trust. Players know the total quantity of assets and are sure that developers do not manipulate them because all information is publicly verified.
- Digital ownership. A unique feature of all blockchain-based games is that they allow players to truly own the content of the games (e.g., an object they earned or purchased in the game). Developers can’t just take away assets belonging to players, and the latter is free to use, trade, sell, or store them as they please. This feature attracts gamers who want to use blockchain games to earn real money.
- Greater security. Due to advanced data encryption used in blockchain games, players can enjoy greater security. There is no risk of the data being compromised and accessed by unauthorized parties, and all transactions are appropriately protected.
- Full control. Another significant advantage of crypto games compared to traditional games is the degree of control given to players.
Still have questions or concerns?
Contact us to schedule a meeting with our CTO to discuss project milestones, budget, and technical requirements. Let’s make your project more manageable and understandable together.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Build a Blockchain Game
Blockchain game development starts with a thorough market analysis. After you identified the topic of your game based on the available crypto games and considered all advantages of blockchain-based gaming, you can proceed to the actual development. The latter concerns primarily the technological decisions you need to make to create an engaging, user-friendly crypto game that would truly stand out.
Conduct Crypto Gaming Market Research
Although blockchain games are a relatively new invention, many games in this sphere have already been created. Reality Clash, Blankos Block Party, CropBytes, OX Universe, Merge Cats, and many other games cater to the needs and interests of diverse players. When developing your own game, you need to check each of the games available on the market, evaluate their strengths and weaknesses, and identify a gap that your new game will address. In this way, you would be able to build blockchain game that differs from those already available. Here is a list of the most popular and notable blockchain games to play, which can help you identify potential themes for your own games:
Age of Rust
This sci-fi game allows players to immerse themselves in a dark atmosphere of the anti-utopia world. The game invites players to participate in space missions, discover unknown planets, and collect crypto assets that can be then exchanged using the P2P system.
Crypto Space Commander
This game also revolves around the space theme. Players can travel to different solar systems, gain valuable resources, and fight with space pirates. The game uses the Ethereum platform to manage game assets.
This game would undoubtedly attract creative players, as it allows creating artwork and sharing it with other users. The main advantage of the game is that it is available to both blockchain users and those having no blockchain wallet.
This game may remind you of another popular game called Сandy Сrush. CryptoPop allows players to group cryptocurrencies and pop them to earn assets. Notably, players can choose a cryptocurrency in which they want to be paid, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and others.
Combining different gaming activities, such as auctions, combat, micromanagement, and others, this game allows players to conduct cross-chain transactions. Fans of virtual simulation and complex strategies will certainly enjoy this blockchain-based game.
This sci-fi game invites players to help the races compete for resources and gain control over planets. Developed with the help of the 4IRE professionals, this game allows players to choose whether they want to use blockchain or not. Irrespectively of players’ decisions, all tokens earned in this game have real-world value.
Choose the Blockchain Infrastructure
The first and most important thing to consider when developing blockchain games is to select the appropriate blockchain programming language and platform. Ethereum is probably the most popular and well-known cross-industry blockchain platform used to perform crypto transactions and design blockchain-based applications. Currently, Ethereum is believed to be one of the most reliable, secure, and user-friendly platforms, enhancing the blockchain gaming experience. Many popular crypto games such as Axie Infinity, Illuvium, CryptoKitties, Decentraland, and others use Ethereum, proving that this option is worth considering.
Corda is another option you can use to make a blockchain game. Like Ethereum, this system is simple, flexible, and secure, making it an appropriate solution for game developers. Its transparency, cost, and security are the main advantages. EOSIO, in turn, is known for its fast transactions, so it may also be considered for developing crypto games. The diversity of available platforms may be confusing, so if you are unsure which one suits your needs the best, you can rely on professionals to select the most appropriate blockchain platform. For instance, the 4IRE team has experience designing Ethereum-based blockchain games such as HashRush.
Select Software Development Kits (SDKs)
Another thing to consider is the use of software development kits (SDKs) designed by third parties. SDKs give developers the right tools to create a new game from scratch and allow for the seamless integration of the game into any selected blockchain ecosystem. This solution is most suitable for companies not willing or able to write blockchain codes themselves. Using SDKs may thus help save time and resources. 4IRE has provided a detailed description of SDK and other tools that can help design, test, and implement various blockchain applications quickly and easily.
Create a Blockchain Game from Scratch
Of course, there is always an option to build blockchain game from scratch, but this work is challenging and may take much time. First, you need to build a competent team of game developers who know how to make blockchain games. Then, it is vital to create an account on one of the blockchain platforms (e.g., Ethereum). After installing the necessary tools and reviewing the smart contracts of competitors, the team should code new smart contracts. After careful testing, the game can be presented to the public.
Seeking Help of Blockchain Experts
If you don’t have much time to study the process of blockchain games development, you can always use expert support. For example, the 4IRE team can always help you with answering your questions. Its blockchain consulting service delivers blockchain products and solutions for various businesses and industries, including gaming. The team’s 10+ years of expertise allows it to provide professional, competent, and efficient blockchain consulting regarding the integration of blockchain technologies.
Blockchain Game Development Cost
The first thing to note is that there’s no single price tag for a blockchain game; every P2E game project is unique. The final quote for the development services will depend on your game’s features and functions, the sophistication of UX/UI design solutions, the complexity of front-end and back-end elements, etc. Besides, the cost varies widely among development teams located, for instance, in the USA or Western Europe and those in Latin America, Eastern Europe, or Asia.
The bare minimum you can count on is around $25,000, while the average cost of a medium-complexity game with a broad feature set and exciting gameplay is around $50,000. It’s also possible to approach the calculation on a feature-by-feature basis. Then it will look as follows:
- Smart contract functionality: from $5,000 to $10,000+
- NFT minting: $2,500 – $5,000
- User registration and secure authentication: $5,000 – $12,500
- Game mechanics: starting from $10,000 (the sky is the limit for large-scale, complex games)
- Multiplayer functionality: an optional, advanced feature that will cost you $12,000+
- Payment integration: $5,000 – $10,000
- In-game NFT marketplace: it’s also optional and suits large-scale projects with considerable budgets, costing $7,500 – $15,000.
Best Practices for Blockchain Game Development
There are many ways to improve your blockchain game development outcomes. Here are the pro tips from experts in game creation:
- Test and refine a business idea and concept. Starting a blockchain game project from scratch is pretty confusing and frightening. The best way to ensure your concept is livable and has good market potential is to scan the existing industry for similar products and analyze their revenue streams. Go on with the project only after double-checking whether it has an audience and demand.
- Choose the underlying blockchain wisely. Many blockchains are available for P2E gaming development today, but each comes with peculiarities and specifics. Consult an expert on this matter to choose the best option for meeting your project goals.
- Determine the core game features. The game’s features, complexity, and structure determine the cost and time of development. So, you should have a clear list of features ready at this stage, discussing a realistic cost estimate with the developer.
- Opt for simple solutions. There’s no need for overly complex or costly P2E solutions if you’re only starting out and have a limited budget for the project. Find white-label P2E game solutions or pre-built blocks for this blockchain product to save money and time; your P2E game will still be a success if you have a bright story and exciting user incentives inside.
To summarize, do not hesitate to design blockchain games to invest your money in this promising and booming industry. Blockchain technology may seem complex, but once you learn about its ins and outs and recognize its advantages, you will realize that your decision to develop blockchain game will pay off. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to approach this task independently and design a game from scratch or use professional support. In any case, you can always rely on the 4IRE team when it comes to fintech blockchain development.
Blockchain revolutionizes the way gaming is organized by adding the public ledger component and smart contract functionality to the game’s architecture. Users can win, earn, or trade NFTs on the in-game marketplaces to advance their ratings and get exclusive privileges; they can also transact with other gamers with the help of smart contracts to monetize their in-game belongings. Besides, blockchain makes gaming confidential and safe, giving players unique ownership rights for their earned NFTs, armor, skins, and monetary rewards.
Today’s technology allows easy and quick integration of blockchain functionality into existing games. As a rule, it relates to transferring the in-game inventory management system to blockchain for the safe storage of user assets via tokenization. Many modern solutions, like the Arkane Network or Matic-powered games, allow users to enjoy the P2E functionality, making the integration process pretty manageable via blockchain gaming SDKs.
When you plan to create a blockchain-based game, choosing a reliable and trustworthy provider of such services, experienced in blockchain development, and possessing industry-specific expertise is vital. Look through the company’s portfolio to see what P2E games it has already worked on; talk to its representatives about the team’s tech stack and knowledge of various blockchain networks and tools. Another aspect of consideration is the company’s time zone and the staff’s English-language proficiency, which can affect the quality and promptness of communication on project-related matters.